WHAT IS Kids’ Jam?
- singing and ear-training exercises
- solfege with Curwen hand signs and hand bells
- rhythm exercises, verbal and written
- drum circle of African djembes and other percussion instruments
- singing games, large and small movement
- to help the child achieve or solidify basic music competency, tonal and rhythmic
- to lay the groundwork for formal instrument instruction when child is developmentally ready
- to strengthen audiation of intervals and tonality through solfege, hand signs, and hand bells
- to integrate tonal & rhythmic skills and build movement vocabulary and coordination through singing games
- to build a repertoire of songs for family, school and community enjoyment
- to build life-long skills for expression and sharing in community
Kids’ Jam Repertoire
The new Kids’ Jam repertoire is drawn from traditional songs and songs composed by Lui specifically for the program. The collections feature songs about the natural world and celebrate seasonal changes.
The recordings of the songs are done in the studio under the capable hand of brilliant multi-instrumentalist / producer Anand Nayak (of Rani Arbo and daisy mayhem fame). They feature Lui and Anand on vocals and a variety of instruments including guitar, banjo, slide guitar and mandolin, and are getting rave reviews from current Kids’ Jam family members of all ages.
A Family Activity
Parent involvement is an important element in a child’s music learning process, regardless of a parent’s previous experience with music. While geared to and developmentally appropriate for the lower elementary student, Kids’ Jam is an educational activity for the entire family, in a community of like-minded families.
Kids’ Jam Family Music Workshop is ideal for Home Schooling families, and we offer special Home Schoolers’ mixed-age classes. Older or younger siblings may be incorporated into any of our other classes as well, on an individual basis; please ask if you are interested.
Tuition in Kids' Jam includes:
- 10 classes, 50 minutes each
- Professionally recorded CDs (2)
- Songbook with lyrics, melody, chords, singing game instructions, chord and hand sign charts, and introduction for parents & music educators.